Intel Core i7 920
hi there geekies… so, what’s up? well, now, finally, i have the best next-gen processor today… it’s the Core i7!!!
oh, so what’s the story? ok… here it is (in timeline LoL)
+ October 2007 – mom arrived from saipan (from work) and told her we should buy Vista Home Premium for her Lappie, and buy either a new dual-core or quad-core desktop pc. that time is the rose od the Intel Core 2 processors, so, dual-core processor are still doing the best… and the only quad-core out is only the Q6600 (which is now phased out)… -failure-
+ June 2008 – 2nd year 1st trimester, summer days just finished (we’ve gone to lucban and tayabas). this is the time when i’m having insomnias, got addicted to skateboarding (and asked mom for money to buy dustin dollin’s no skool shoe), played cabal online for hours (force blader, up to level 18 i guess), dled a lot od movies (twins effect, forbidden kingdom, etc) throuhg torrent, and most specially, became acertified SONE (gir’s generation fan) and addicted to K-Pop. that time, i became a netizen, and since i still download episodes of You Are My Destiny, i noticed, my harddrives getting full…answer? Burner! burned a lot of DVDs and CDs… few weeks later, my Sony DVD-RW became a crap…so, tried to just save the episodes through my brother’s ipod (working like a harddisk, right?). since i became a netizen, well, of course, i shouldn’t forget the geeky me… asked mom to buy me pc parts through newegg.com… i remember, i was choosing between the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 or the AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edtion… that time also, i started to like the Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4850 Toxic coz’ it’s cool!… but still, i failed… my mom told me we should just buy here in PH not outside the country, i also realized that since the warranties of those things…
+ Late October – November 2008 – this is the worst time of year 2008 for me. early October, my mom bought me my Samsung F480 Tocco (replacement of Anycall Haptic), as my Birthday Gift… later on… arrgghhh! our house! it got renovated… so, no money for all… dammit! so… i just focused on my studies, coz’ it just pisses me off everytime i think about it… -failure, really!-
+ February 2009 – Happy New Year!!! LoL… no, i was busy this time. SNSD cameback, and i had to finish my thesis… and the worst thing is, my old P$ pc got wrecked… like it wont run anymore… so i ended up doing my thesis in some computer shop out there… poor kid LoL
+ Mach 2009 – Graduation! joke… i finished my thesis, school is finished too, and i’m excited to be a 3rd year student! well, this is the time my mom bout me Black Honey! -success!-
So, what’s new in Intel Core i7???
– LGA 1366 or Socket B (so i need to buy that type of mobo)
– On-die memory controller: the memory is directly connected to the processor
– Three channel memory, DDR3 support only
– No ECC support
– Intel QuickPath Interconnect interface replaced the Front Side Bus
– 32 KB L1 instruction and 32 KB L1 data cache per core
– 256 KB L2 cache (combined instruction and data) per core
– 8 MB L3 (combined instruction and data) “inclusive”, shared by all cores
– Single-die device: all four cores, the memory controller, and all cache are on a single die
– “Turbo Boost” technology
– the return of Hyper-threading – this means that there is 4 cores physically, but 8 cores logically (that’s why it’s cool!)
– 731M transistors
– 263 mm2 Die size
– Support for SSE4.2 & SSE4.1 instruction sets
Intel Core i7 920 Specifications:
– Released on 2008-11-17 (i bought it April 2009 in PCHub)
– Thermal Design Power of 130 W
– 2.66GHz ~ 2.67GHz x 4
– Core Multiplier is 20
– 1x 4.8 GT/s
– 1.2 Voltage
– Codenamed Bloomfield
– so fast, that you can’t even determine the so-far ahead of the core i7 920 to my old pentium 4 2.4GHz Northwood LoL
– excellent in multi-tasking
– i can play, so many games at the same time (GTA4, RA3, GH3, Burnout Paradise, NFS UC all at the same time)
– 8-core logically makes me sick!
– the super mini sized 45nm amazed me
– the included fan works so well, don’t need to buy the V8 for now (but i’m planning to)
– i think this cpu will last for 5 years or more
– silent.. and stable
– the boxing is quite cool too
– as of now, nothing… i just heard that intel is releasing a 6-core physically and 12-core logically in the near future.
– i have no right to compare this processor to AMD Phenom II X4, since, in my life, i havent tried an AMD processor for my pc (unless in comp shops). but still, i prefer Intel Core i7 more, i heard the Phenom II X4 is just game and media centric, and that i need fast and stable pc since i am a programmer.
Performance: 10/10 [stable, quiet, fast and cool]
Value: 9.5/10 [it’s not pricey… i bought it @ PHP 13,990 @ PCHub, same price with Core 2 Quad Q9950]Overall Rating: 9.75/10
Comment: i really recommend everyone who’s building a new rig to choose this processor series, whether the 920 like mine, or faster ones like the 940, 950, 965, 975… it’s good for gaming, programming and all of what you do in your desktops… and good for over-clocking too!
Posted on May 31, 2009, in BLACK-SONE and tagged amd, amd phenom ii x4, amd phenom x4, ati, c2d, c2q, core 2 duo, core 2 quad, core i7, ddr3, dual-core, encore, gaming, hardcore, ht, hyper threading, i7, intel, intel core 2 quad, intel core i7, intel core i7 920, intel corporation, intel nehalem, lga 1366, nehalem, overclock, quad, quad core, uncore, x58. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.